Following criticism over the Mexican government's handling of the disappearance of 43 students, Mexican Attorney General Arely GÃ³mez GonzÃ¡lez has released a redacted document of the investigation online.
Families of the 43 missing students, activists and an international human rights group have criticized the Mexican government for its poor handling of the case ,which has expanded into a high-profile human rights issue, the Huffington Post and Roque Planas says.
The complete redacted file released this week consists of 83 volumes and 13 appendices and is 53,000 pages long. This is the first time that the Mexican government has released investigation files while a case is still unsolved, which is a testament to the enormous pressure Mexican President Nieto is under.
The investigation file was released on Attorney General GÃ³mez's website and was promoted through her Twitter account. Several names and other details have been blacked out in the files, Star.com says. The Attorney General also let journalists to review the 53,000 pages of material prior to their release.
Jesus Murillo Karam, GÃ³mez's predecessor, has concluded that the 43 missing students were handed over by corrupt police to a drug gang and then incinerated, NDTV says. However, the families of the missing students and a group of experts by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) say there are discrepancies in the official conclusion on the case and that the 43 students might not be dead.
Recently, an international group of human rights experts released their own report, saying that there's no scientific evidence that the 43 students have been incinerated and that the timeframe of the incineration reported by the investigators is unrealistic. More than 30 metric tons of wood would have to burn for more than 60 hours in order for the bodies to be incinerated, the Huffington Post reports. The IACHR says there's no evidence that a fire of this extent ever took place at the Cocula dump site.
The group of experts also said the investigation has de-emphasized the presence of troops and federal police on the site the day of the disappearance. Their own findings suggest that the state investigation is flawed and incomplete. The group says Mexican officials have tortured key witnesses in the case and that their requests to interview troops present on the day of the disappearance, have been rejected, the BBC says.
The 43 male students went missing on Sept 26, 2014. So far the official government verdict on the case is that local police abducted the students and turned them over to Guerrero Unido, a drug cartel that allegedly confessed to the killing and incineration of all 43 students.