German multiculturalism 'failing'
10.17.10 – Chancellor's remarks add to ongoing debate over immigration and Islam within her conservative coalition
Angela Merkel, Germany’s Chancellor, has said that the country’s attempt to create a multicultural society has “utterly failed”, adding fuel to a debate over immigration and Islam which is polarising her conservative coalition.
Speaking to a meeting of young members of her Christian Democrats (CDU), Merkel said allowing people of different cultural backgrounds to live side by side without integrating had not worked in a country that is home to some four million Muslims.
“This [multicultural] approach has failed, utterly failed,” Merkel told the meeting in Potsdam.
The Chancellor has faced pressure from within her party to take a tougher line on immigrants who do not show a willingness to adapt to German society and her comments appeared intended to pacify her critics.
She said too little had been required of immigrants in the past and repeated her usual line that they should learn German in order to get by in school and have opportunities in the labour market.
The debate over foreigners in Germany has shifted since Thilo Sarrazin, a former central banker, published a book accusing Muslim immigrants of lowering the intelligence of German society.
Enter your email to subscribe to daily Education News!
- Education Technology
- Teachers Unions
- Charter Schools
- California Education
- Education Research
- Online Education
- New York Education
- UK Education
- STEM Education
- School Choice
- Cost of College
- Education Funding
- New York City Schools
- Julia Steiny
- Florida Education
- Education Reform
- Parent Involvement
- Texas Education
- Los Angeles Schools
- Math Education
- C. M. Rubin
- Obama Administration
- Chicago Schools
- 2012 Election
- Pennsylvania Education
- New Jersey Education
- Tennessee Education
- Teacher Training
- UK Higher Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Louisiana Education
- College Admissions
- School Health
- Ohio Education
- Teacher Evaluations
- Illinois Education
- Arne Duncan
- UK Politics
- Michigan Education
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Counseling Schools in Arnold
- Counseling Schools in Baltimore
- Counseling Schools in Bowie
- Counseling Schools in Capitol Heights
- Counseling Schools in College Park
- Counseling Schools in Frederick
- Counseling Schools in Frostburg
- Counseling Schools in Lanham
- Counseling Schools in Princess Anne
- Counseling Schools in Salisbury
- Counseling Schools in Takoma Park
- Counseling Schools in Towson
- Counseling Schools in Westminster
- Human Services Schools in Batavia
- Human Services Schools in Cincinnati
- Human Services Schools in Dayton
- Human Services Schools in Tiffin
- Human Services Schools in Toledo