Educators are finding that kids aren’t coming to school prepared to learn because they are... Read More
Virginia Community College Offers Credit for StraighterLine
Students taking courses from StraighterLine will be able to receive college credit if they enroll in Northern Virginia Community College to pursue a degree.
Northern Virginia Community College is partnering with online course provider StraighterLine to give students another option for an affordable college degree. NOVA becomes the latest in a rapidly expanding group of schools to offer transfer students college credit for any StraighterLine courses they took prior to enrollment.
The partnership with NOVA means StraighterLine students can now have their course credit accepted towards completion of a college degree by yet another accredited institution of higher learning. By accepting StraighterLine courses for college credit, NOVA also recognizes the value of distance learning in the lives of those trying to balance responsibilities like employment and family with their goal of earning a college degree.
“NOVA is committed to increasing college access for more people while lowering the cost of completing a degree,” NOVA President Robert G. Templin Jr. said. “Our agreement with StraighterLine creates another option for learners to complete college at an affordable price.”
StraighterLine offers freshman and introductory-level college courses online aimed at non-traditional students like stay-at-home moms or those in full-time employment. Students pay only a $39 sign-up fee and $99 a month and can take advantage of a full range of StraighterLine courses which allow them to move through the material at their own pace. In addition, having the courses recognized by colleges across the country allows students who choose to pursue a college degree to save thousands of dollars on the cost of a typical degree program.
Burck Smith, StraighterLine CEO said that the coursework offered by the company fits perfectly with NOVA’s commitment to allowing many flexible pathways towards a college degree. He added that the company is proud to work with the college to offer students yet another affordable alternative college program.
StraighterLine courses have been evaluated and recommended by the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT). Compared to online courses from a typical college or university, StraighterLine’s courses have been found to offer equal academic rigor but are more affordable and convenient. Ninety percent of successful StraighterLine students were either enrolled or had completed a degree program at the college that accepted StraighterLine’s courses.
StraighterLine currently offers 38 introductory and freshman-level courses online in the areas of science, mathematics, humanities, English and business. Five of the courses offered by the company have been certified by the College Board as alternatives to AP Microeconomics, AP English and Composition, AP Macroeconomics, AP Calculus AB and AP Psychology.
by John Jensen, PhD The debate over high-stakes testing pits the need for assessing student... Read More
Teachers and parents spoke out at the Denver Public Schools board meeting about the... Read More
Researchers are expecting a surge in the number of students educated at home by their parents over... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Teaching Schools in Booneville
- Teaching Schools in Clarksdale
- Teaching Schools in Cleveland
- Teaching Schools in Clinton
- Teaching Schools in Columbus
- Teaching Schools in Decatur
- Teaching Schools in Goodman
- Teaching Schools in Hattiesburg
- Teaching Schools in Itta Bena
- Teaching Schools in Mississippi State
- Teaching Schools in Perkinston
- Teaching Schools in Senatobia
- Teaching Schools in Tougaloo
- Teaching Schools in University
- Teaching Schools in Wesson
- Video Production Schools in Amherst
- Video Production Schools in Boston
- Video Production Schools in Brookline
- Video Production Schools in Chestnut Hill
- Video Production Schools in Fitchburg
- Video Production Schools in Great Barrington
- Video Production Schools in Greenfield
- Video Production Schools in Holyoke
- Video Production Schools in Northampton
- Video Production Schools in South Hadley
- Video Production Schools in Waltham
- Video Production Schools in Worcester