In Oregon, newly passed House Bill 2995 will allow students faculty and staff to identify their... Read More
Teacher Fired for ‘Double-Dating’ Ex-Student and Her Mother
A Queens Middle School physical education instructor has been fired for having a relationship with an ex-pupil and her mother simultaneously.
Gerard Cassidy, a physical education instructor at MS137 America’s School of Heroes in Ozone Park, has been fired for having an “inappropriate relationship” with an ex-student and her mother, writes Susan Edelman at the New York Post.
The scandal broke in mid 2009 after the teen told her an aunt that “she had been secretly dating her ex-teacher,” says a report by the office of schools investigator Richard Condon.
She claimed to have had sex in his house “once or twice a week” without condoms.
“Mr. Cassidy told her he would marry her when she turned 18,” the aunt told investigators.
He “was very rich and would give her a house, a car, credit cards and security.”
This relationship continued despite Cassidy courting of the girl’s mom, who was recently out of an abusive relationship.
Cassidy is believed to have taken the teen and the mom to restaurants in Queens, together and separately, and has been accused of giving the teen alcohol, designer eyeglasses, Nike sneakers, a wool coat, a gold and diamond-chip accessory and an iPhone – as well as paying her phone bills for months.
The girl begged her aunt not to tell anyone, but the aunt told the teen’s father, who then subsequently informed the city’s Administration for Children’s Services.
According to city Department of Education documents and court records, Cassidy, 44, lost his $83,600-a-year job after 18 years in teaching, despite the recanting of the claim of sexual relations by the 16-year-old student.
Condon’s office obtained records showing that Cassidy called the girl’s cellphone 553 times between March and July 2009 and sent 383 text messages to her iPhone. About 125 calls occurred between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
In his Department of Education hearing, Cassidy claimed that it was left to him to motivate the girl into doing her homework and attend school.
The mother testified that Cassidy’s mentoring helped her daughter rocket to consistent A grades, insisted that she permitted Cassidy to call her daughter any time, but records have revealed that the student was still failing in her classes.
Hearing officer Douglas Abel upheld Cassidy’s termination. Cassidy appealed in Manhattan Supreme Court and lost, writes Edelman.
Online education provider edX announced that they will be expanding the xConsortium to Asia, and... Read More
by Julia Steiny Dr. James Comer is a rock star in my world, with sterling credentials and a great... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a State Subject
- Business Management Schools in Colorado
- Drafting Schools in Missouri
- Music Schools in Texas
- Select a City Subject
- Business Management Schools in Aurora
- Business Management Schools in Colorado Springs
- Business Management Schools in Denver
- Business Management Schools in Littleton
- Business Management Schools in Westminster
- Drafting Schools in Arnold
- Drafting Schools in Cape Girardeau
- Drafting Schools in Earth City
- Drafting Schools in Eldon
- Drafting Schools in Hannibal
- Drafting Schools in Hillsboro
- Drafting Schools in Jefferson City
- Drafting Schools in Joplin
- Drafting Schools in Kansas City
- Drafting Schools in Linn
- Drafting Schools in Moberly
- Drafting Schools in Neosho
- Drafting Schools in Park Hills
- Drafting Schools in Rolla
- Drafting Schools in Saint Joseph
- Drafting Schools in Saint Louis
- Drafting Schools in Sedalia
- Drafting Schools in Springfield
- Drafting Schools in Union
- Drafting Schools in Warrensburg
- Drafting Schools in West Plains
- Music Schools in Alvin
- Music Schools in Baytown
- Music Schools in Borger
- Music Schools in Commerce
- Music Schools in Kerrville
- Music Schools in Kilgore
- Music Schools in Lubbock
- Music Schools in Lufkin
- Music Schools in Midland
- Music Schools in San Antonio
- Music Schools in Stephenville