For high school students facing up to the financial toll a college education can take on a family,... Read More
School Buses an Ideal Environment for Bullying
The closed space and the lack of adult supervision on school buses often means that victims of bullying cannot escape their attackers.
School buses serve as a setting for as much as 10% of all bullying incidents in the country, according to the data collected by the U.S. Department of Education. The reality, however, could be much worse, since as many as two-thirds of all bullying incidents that take place in the U.S. schools are never reported. A recent article on Slate.com explained that limited space and lack of adequate supervision make school bus bullying notoriously hard to control and reduce.
Jeremy Stahl, writing at Slate.com, said that he polled his colleagues about their own and their kids’ experiences and many recalled incidents that took place on a school bus as the worst cases of bullying they had ever experienced. One even said that school bus harassment was so prevalent at his school that his mother, a teacher, arranged for him to carpool at the beginning and the end of the day to protect him from the abuse.
The research backs up these anecdotes. A 2005 study from the Journal of School Violence reported that two incidents of bullying occurred for every bus ride they monitored. According to a 2007 report by the National Center for Education Statistics, middle school students are most likely to be bullied on a bus. This is also the same age that students are also most likely to be injured by bullying. What is it about buses that make them such an ideal venue for this kind of behavior?
Those in charge of looking after the kids on the bus ride to and from school are also limited in the kind of discipline they can impose. While school staff has the power to impose punishments like suspension and detention, bus drivers, and, in the rare cases when they are present, adult monitors, have their hands virtually tied. Those that try to intervene often feel ill-equipped to do so. Slightly more than 55% of bus drivers said that they received training on how to protect a victim of bullying from the abusers, according to the 2010 survey conducted by the National Education Association.
The problem of school bus bullying recently got extensive attention after kids posted a video of several 7th graders harassing their monitor, 68-year-old Karen Klein, by throwing insults at her until she was in tears. The incident, which was captured in three cell-phone videos and posted in YouTube, went viral with many calling on Klein to pursue criminal charges against her attackers. Klein felt that the school system was in a better position to administer punishment. Shortly after the videos first came to light, the Greece School District in Upstate New York announced that four kids who led the bullying were suspended from the school for one year.
In a lawsuit filed in federal court, New York City parents and activists are arguing that the high... Read More
A massive online open course about one of the biggest providers of massive online open courses?... Read More
Researchers are expecting a surge in the number of students educated at home by their parents over... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Finance Schools in Claremont
- Finance Schools in Fullerton
- Finance Schools in Glendale
- Finance Schools in Irvine
- Finance Schools in Oakland
- Finance Schools in San Diego
- Finance Schools in San Jacinto
- Finance Schools in South Lake Tahoe
- Finance Schools in Woodland Hills
- Surgical Technology Schools in Bethlehem
- Surgical Technology Schools in Blue Bell
- Surgical Technology Schools in Broomall
- Surgical Technology Schools in Cresson
- Surgical Technology Schools in Erie
- Surgical Technology Schools in Harrisburg
- Surgical Technology Schools in Johnstown
- Surgical Technology Schools in Lancaster
- Surgical Technology Schools in Media
- Surgical Technology Schools in Nanticoke
- Surgical Technology Schools in Oakdale
- Surgical Technology Schools in Philadelphia
- Surgical Technology Schools in Pittsburgh
- Surgical Technology Schools in Pottsville
- Surgical Technology Schools in Reading
- Surgical Technology Schools in Scranton
- Surgical Technology Schools in Upper Darby
- Surgical Technology Schools in Williamsport