Educators are finding that kids aren’t coming to school prepared to learn because they are... Read More
Parents Steamed over Surprise Breathalyzer Tests for Seniors
Students who showed up to graduation rehearsal were told that they needed to take the a breathalyzer test to be allowed to walk at graduation.
Students showing up for their graduation ceremony rehearsal at the St. Charles High School last Friday got a pop quiz they weren’t expecting. Administrators told those arriving that they would not be allowed to participate in the rehearsal or walk at graduation unless they submitted to a breathalyzer test on the spot.
Jim Welp, the parent of one the seniors, said he found out about the test when his son Alec called him from the rehearsal saying that he’d just been given one. After hanging up with his son, Welp said he drove over to the school to confirm his story and to find out on whose authority was the test being administered.
“They said they did, I said you don’t, I said you have to have probable cause,” he said.
Faculty told Welp and other parents they had smelled alcohol on some of the students.
“I said you can’t test them all because some of the students have alcohol,” he said
School policy at St. Charles dictates that if a staff member suspects a student of being intoxicated on school grounds, the police should be called to the scene. However, the district superintendent Mark Roubinek said that the teachers present at the rehearsal said that some of the seniors had alcohol on their breath, and a group of about twenty students were acting erratically, and in manner that raised the suspicion that they were intoxicated. As a result, the administrators felt that they couldn’t take the risk that some of them might be driving home in that state, and when they shared their concerns with Roubinek, everyone decided to “take the next step.” In these circumstances, “the next step” meant administering the breathalyzer test to all 73 students who attended the rehearsal.
The school officials declined to reveal the exact number of students who tested positive, but indicated that at least ten did.
All the graduating seniors walked at graduation the following Sunday, even those who failed the breathalyzer, although Roubinek said that they were otherwise disciplined.
Some parents are now considering filing a lawsuit against the school, although most are rejecting that option in favor of showing up at the next meeting of the district school board, scheduled for June 11th, to express their disapproval.
by John Jensen, PhD The debate over high-stakes testing pits the need for assessing student... Read More
Teachers and parents spoke out at the Denver Public Schools board meeting about the... Read More
Researchers are expecting a surge in the number of students educated at home by their parents over... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a Subject
- Christian Counseling Schools
- Criminal Justice Schools
- Fashion Marketing Schools
- Theology Schools
- Select a State Subject
- Christian Counseling Schools in Florida
- Criminal Justice Schools in California
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Massachusetts
- Theology Schools in Alabama
- Select a City Subject
- Christian Counseling Schools in Clearwater
- Christian Counseling Schools in Deerfield Beach
- Christian Counseling Schools in Graceville
- Christian Counseling Schools in Lake Worth
- Christian Counseling Schools in Miami
- Christian Counseling Schools in Saint Leo
- Christian Counseling Schools in Sarasota
- Criminal Justice Schools in Compton
- Criminal Justice Schools in Irvine
- Criminal Justice Schools in Norco
- Criminal Justice Schools in Ontario
- Criminal Justice Schools in Oroville
- Criminal Justice Schools in Salinas
- Criminal Justice Schools in San Jacinto
- Criminal Justice Schools in San Jose
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Amherst
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Bedford
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Boston
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Brockton
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Brookline
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Fall River
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Newton
- Fashion Marketing Schools in Swampscott
- Theology Schools in Athens
- Theology Schools in Birmingham
- Theology Schools in Florence
- Theology Schools in Huntsville
- Theology Schools in Marion
- Theology Schools in Mobile
- Theology Schools in Montgomery
- Theology Schools in Selma
- Theology Schools in Tuscaloosa