The Institute of Education Sciences and the National Center for Education Statistics have released... Read More
Parents Gather After MA Teacher is Arrested on Sex Charges
A crowd of almost 200 parents met this week to discuss the shocking news that a trusted elementary school teacher has been arrested on sexual assault charges.
Nearly 200 parents met this week at the gym of the Underwood Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts after the shocking revelation that a trusted teacher – known to the children as “Mr. E.” – had been arrested on charges that he sexually assaulted a young girl and filmed it.
David Ettlinger, 34, who had been a teacher in Newton public schools for 12 years, taught second grade at Underwood for the last four years. Now, after being charged with indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 and posing a child in a state of nudity, his reputation is in tatters, writes Evan Allen at the Boston Globe.
According to the office of Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, on Wednesday, Ettlinger pleaded not guilty in West Roxbury District Court.
He pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to related charges of possession of child pornography in Brighton District Court.
A Suffolk District Attorney spokesman confirmed that Ettlinger has been charged with being part of a global child pornography ring called Dreamboard, and is facing a charge in federal court in Louisiana of participating in a child exploitation enterprise in connection to his Dreamboard activities.
At the meeting, Michael Jellinek, MD, President of Newton-Wellesley Hospital and Chief of Child Psychiatry at Mass General Hospital, advised parents to talk calmly and openly with their children, and to let them grieve.
“When something hits like this out of the blue, it makes everyone feel vulnerable,” he said.
Underwood Principal Kathleen Zimmerman said that the school is in the process of firing Ettlinger:
“Pending a hearing” in early February, she said, “he will be terminated.”
Newton School Superintendent David Fleishman said that there are plans for further community meetings in the future.
“There’s a lot of angst in our other schools,” he said.
“This will be ongoing.”
Local parents are distraught. Marisa Morrill, who has a child in fifth grade said:
“I’d seen him around, he seemed like just an average teacher. That’s the scariest part of all.
“We never thought that anything would be wrong at Underwood.”
Minneapolis based consulting and research firm Adventium Labs has developed an educational iOS game... Read More
It seemed like less than a decade ago that the popularity of high school exit exams was at its... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Human Services Schools in Bridgeport
- Human Services Schools in Danbury
- Human Services Schools in East Hartford
- RN to BSN Schools in Baldwin City
- RN to BSN Schools in Beloit
- RN to BSN Schools in Chanute
- RN to BSN Schools in Colby
- RN to BSN Schools in Concordia
- RN to BSN Schools in Dodge City
- RN to BSN Schools in El Dorado
- RN to BSN Schools in Emporia
- RN to BSN Schools in Fort Scott
- RN to BSN Schools in Garden City
- RN to BSN Schools in Great Bend
- RN to BSN Schools in Hays
- RN to BSN Schools in Hesston
- RN to BSN Schools in Highland
- RN to BSN Schools in Hutchinson
- RN to BSN Schools in Kansas City
- RN to BSN Schools in Lawrence
- RN to BSN Schools in Leavenworth
- RN to BSN Schools in Liberal
- RN to BSN Schools in Manhattan
- RN to BSN Schools in North Newton
- RN to BSN Schools in Olathe
- RN to BSN Schools in Parsons
- RN to BSN Schools in Pittsburg
- RN to BSN Schools in Pratt
- RN to BSN Schools in Salina
- RN to BSN Schools in Topeka
- RN to BSN Schools in Wichita
- RN to BSN Schools in Winfield