The Institute of Education Sciences and the National Center for Education Statistics have released... Read More
Houston Graduation Rate Continues to Rise
Data released by the district shows a 4% improvement in graduation rates over last year, although the district still lags compared to the state of Texas.
According to data released this week, the Houston Independent School District has continued to increase the percentage of students who are successfully graduating from its schools for the fourth straight year. Although the district’s graduation rate, which was 78.5% in 2011, is still lagging the graduation rate of Texas as a whole, it has made great strides since 2007 when only 64.3% of the district’s students graduated. Last year, 84.3% of Texas students graduated high school.
HISD uses the same methodology to calculate its graduation rate as is used by the Texas Education Agency when it computes the graduation rate for the state.
Most of HISD’s high schools saw their graduation rates improve from last year, with Kashmere High seeing the biggest gain, from 56.2 percent to 73.8 percent. An HISD investigation in 2010 found evidence that dropout records at Kashmere were being falsified in prior years.
Dallas ISD, the state’s second-largest school district, recently reported a graduation rate of 77.3 percent, a three-point gain from last year.
Still, some organizations take issue with the methodology used by the district. The education advocacy group Children At Risk, which is based in Houston, says that the formula used by HISD doesn’t fully account for the number of school dropouts. The numbers released by CAR show a more sobering 60% graduation rate in the district — roughly 14 percentage points lower than the district’s own estimates.
Nevertheless, district Superintendent Terry Grier said that the graduation rate growth is a great achievement for the HISD. Grier gave credit to the new aggressive approach the district has taken to combat dropouts, especially with weekly school staff meetings that track the progress of students in their schools most at risk for leaving without graduating. In addition, the district also makes sure that students who wish to make up credits in order to graduate on time can take online courses in the new “grad lab” program.
“This is big-time news,” Grier said. “To see this type of improvement in our school district, I think it has major implications for our city.”
Grier, who took charge of the state’s largest school district in 2009, said he hopes an intense focus on ensuring students can read on grade level will lower the dropout rate in future years. HISD plans to roll out a new curriculum next school year that incorporates reading in all subjects and to enroll struggling students in sixth and ninth grades into special reading classes.
“If a kid can’t read, they’re not going to graduate high school,” he said.
Minneapolis based consulting and research firm Adventium Labs has developed an educational iOS game... Read More
It seemed like less than a decade ago that the popularity of high school exit exams was at its... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Human Services Schools in River Forest
- Human Services Schools in Sugar Grove
- Video Production Schools in Boca Raton
- Video Production Schools in Bradenton
- Video Production Schools in Cocoa
- Video Production Schools in Daytona Beach
- Video Production Schools in Fort Lauderdale
- Video Production Schools in Gainesville
- Video Production Schools in Jacksonville
- Video Production Schools in Lake Worth
- Video Production Schools in Lakeland
- Video Production Schools in Largo
- Video Production Schools in Melbourne
- Video Production Schools in Miami
- Video Production Schools in Niceville
- Video Production Schools in Orlando
- Video Production Schools in Panama City
- Video Production Schools in Pensacola
- Video Production Schools in Saint Petersburg
- Video Production Schools in Sanford
- Video Production Schools in Tallahassee
- Video Production Schools in Tampa
- Video Production Schools in West Palm Beach
- Video Production Schools in Winter Haven
- Video Production Schools in Winter Park