The New Hampshire Superior Court ruled this week that the state’s new education tax credit... Read More
UK’s OFSTED Launches ‘Happiness’ Rating Site for Parents
Parents are being asked to rate schools based on children’s happiness, teaching standards, behaviour and levels of homework.
A website launched by OFSTED today – the official body for inspecting schools in the UK – gives mothers and fathers across England the chance to assess state schools against 12 different criteria. The ratings could trigger fresh inspections of schools if major concerns are raised, writes Graeme Paton at the Telegraph.
The website – Parent View – will allow families to rank all 22,000 state schools in England and allow prospective pupils’ families to find out how local primaries and secondaries are judged by existing parents before applying.
The system works as such: Parents are asked to log onto the site and rate their school on various aspects, using a four-point scale from “strongly agree” to “strongly disagree”. The information will then be processed by OFSTED and published. OFSTED will also be able to then use the data to determine when and whether a school should be inspected.
Baroness Sally Morgan, the OFSTED chairman, said:
“Parents want to be able to pass on more clearly a picture of a school to each other… We know it’s already out there, so in a sense you can stand outside a school gate and pick something up, or there’s things in the local paper, but it’s to try and make it somewhat more systematic for people to be able to give regular feedback.”
The parents will not be required to enter personal details to access the site, only an email address is required. Critics have warned that this anonymity could leave it vulnerable to misuse, writes the Associated Press.
Teaching unions have criticized the system saying it will allow parents and pupils with a grudge against schools to make unfounded claims.
Christine Blower, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said:
“Apart from the obvious question as to what useful purpose the questionnaire will serve, this is a system which is open to abuse. Schools could easily be targeted by parents unfairly, or even in anger, which could result in a false impression being given of the school.”
However, OFSTED insists that it has systems in place to flag up potential signs of misuse, and headteachers will be able to report concerns if they believe the site has been misused.
“As if there were not enough already, this will be yet another layer of accountability against which schools will be measured. It really is time that the Government insisted everyone listened to what they themselves say should happen and start trusting teachers, and not put their faith in subjective measurements such as this.”
Tutoring programs offering additional out-of-school instruction to students are drawing a growing... Read More
Microsoft is looking to take a bite out of Apple’s controlling share of the education... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Biochemistry Schools in Anderson
- Biochemistry Schools in Bloomington
- Biochemistry Schools in Evansville
- Biochemistry Schools in Greencastle
- Biochemistry Schools in Indianapolis
- Biochemistry Schools in Marion
- Biochemistry Schools in Notre Dame
- Biochemistry Schools in Rensselaer
- Biochemistry Schools in Richmond
- Biochemistry Schools in South Bend
- Biochemistry Schools in Terre Haute
- Biochemistry Schools in Valparaiso
- Biochemistry Schools in Vincennes
- Biochemistry Schools in West Lafayette
- Information Systems Schools in Angola
- Information Systems Schools in Bloomington
- Information Systems Schools in Columbus
- Information Systems Schools in Evansville
- Information Systems Schools in Fort Wayne
- Information Systems Schools in Franklin
- Information Systems Schools in Gary
- Information Systems Schools in Goshen
- Information Systems Schools in Hammond
- Information Systems Schools in Huntington
- Information Systems Schools in Indianapolis
- Information Systems Schools in Kokomo
- Information Systems Schools in Madison
- Information Systems Schools in Merrillville
- Information Systems Schools in Mishawaka
- Information Systems Schools in Muncie
- Information Systems Schools in Newburgh
- Information Systems Schools in North Manchester
- Information Systems Schools in Notre Dame
- Information Systems Schools in Oakland City
- Information Systems Schools in Rensselaer
- Information Systems Schools in Richmond
- Information Systems Schools in South Bend
- Information Systems Schools in Terre Haute
- Information Systems Schools in Upland
- Information Systems Schools in West Lafayette