School choice is a growing movement in Wisconsin as parents increasingly take advantage of... Read More
Community College in Arizona Opens Doors to CA Students
Those who were locked out of California community colleges have been invited to enroll in an Arizona CC that is rapidly expanding.
California students who wish to enroll in a two-year community college program but can’t find a place due to government cutbacks now have another option. Just a short car-ride away over the Arizona border is the Mohave Community College which is hoping to increase its enrollment by making the California students welcome. The number of such students is projected to grow, due to the additional $300 million in budget cuts which are scheduled to go into effect next fall. The reduced funding has forced California’s community colleges to make drastic cuts in both classes offered and the teaching staff, shutting out a larger number of the state’s residents who wish to attend a local college.
Cash-strapped community colleges in California are reportedly facing another $300-million cut if Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed budget plan is not approved. The state already has cut community colleges by $809 million, or 12 percent, over the past three years. Brown’s proposal includes a tax initiative that would create $309 million in new money for community colleges, but it would require voter approval in November.
In contrast, the Mohave CC is expanding its facilities which will allow the school to accommodate a greater number of students. Convinced that those students can be found in California, the college is preparing to roll out an advertising campaign targeted at Southern California in order to draw them in.
Those who decide to take up Mohave on their offer, can complete their two-year degrees and then transfer those credits and finish out the four-year degree at a college of their choice.
In order to make the proposition more appealing, it will feature testimonials from CA students who have already taken advantage of what Mohave has to offer, and who can share how the college put them on the road to success. One such student, Roxy Hensley, who found out about MCC from a flyer on a bulletin board, graduated from MCC with a Surgical Technology Associate’s degree in 2011 and now works for a private medical office in the Las Vegas area.
“I definitely wouldn’t be where I’m at now without going through the program at Mohave Community College,” she said. “It gave me the knowledge and skills I need out here in the real world. I love what I do. I love being hands-on, and I love knowing that I make a difference.”
MCC even offers options for students who don’t want to take that drive. In addition to the growing number of traditional programs available at the MCC’s four campuses, there is also a growing online campus that allows students to complete their degrees over the Internet.
According to data collected from Ohio’s new value-added teacher ratings, there appears to be... Read More
Lawmakers in Dubai hope that forcing schools and parents to sign a legally binding contract before... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Communications Schools in Bristol
- Communications Schools in Chattanooga
- Communications Schools in Clarksville
- Communications Schools in Cleveland
- Communications Schools in Collegedale
- Communications Schools in Cookeville
- Communications Schools in Dayton
- Communications Schools in Greeneville
- Communications Schools in Harrogate
- Communications Schools in Henderson
- Communications Schools in Jackson
- Communications Schools in Jefferson City
- Communications Schools in Johnson City
- Communications Schools in Knoxville
- Communications Schools in Madisonville
- Communications Schools in Martin
- Communications Schools in Memphis
- Communications Schools in Milligan College
- Communications Schools in Murfreesboro
- Communications Schools in Nashville
- Counseling Schools in Concord
- Counseling Schools in Durham
- Counseling Schools in Henniker
- Counseling Schools in Keene
- Counseling Schools in Manchester
- Counseling Schools in Nashua
- Counseling Schools in Plymouth