The Institute of Education Sciences and the National Center for Education Statistics have released... Read More
CFPB Releases Online Financial Aid Comparison Tool
The CFPB has released an online interactive comparison tool for students and their families bewildered by the array of financial aid funding offers available.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has launched the next phase of its ‘Know Before You Owe’ student loan project with an online interactive financial aid comparison tool. The project was made public in October with the release of a financial aid shopping sheet; essentially a standardized form that universities could present to parents as a uniform user-friendly way of explaining the total cost of the education and options for financing it. The online tool in beta phase and includes more than 7,500 schools in its database. The information is sourced from publicly available data and will allow students to compare the following across multiple offers:
- Estimated monthly student loan payment after graduation;
- Grant and scholarship offers;
- School-specific metrics such as graduation, retention, and federal student loan default rates; and
- Estimated debt level at graduation in relationship to the average starting salary.
The database includes information from community, state and private schools.
With the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act supervisory control of nonbank providers of private student loans has been given to the CFPB, who have been working hard to address the challenges faced by students. In November they published a Notice in the Federal Register that asked students, lenders, school and the general public to share their experiences with private student loan market. The resulting thousands of comments will be analyzed and the findings released later this year as part of a report to Congress.
Student loan debt recently made headlines for surpassing credit card debt as the leading source of US household debt, excepting mortgages. The CFPB and Congress are keen to make sure that this figure isn’t overinflated by lack of knowledge on the part of students paying more than they need to be.
“Student loan debt has crossed the $1 trillion mark and tuition continues to climb,” said CFPB Director Richard Cordray. “Now more than ever, students and their families need to know before they owe. Our Financial Aid Comparison Shopper helps students make apples to apples comparisons of their offers and pick the one that works best for their financial future.”
Minneapolis based consulting and research firm Adventium Labs has developed an educational iOS game... Read More
It seemed like less than a decade ago that the popularity of high school exit exams was at its... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Accounting Schools in Bogalusa
- Accounting Schools in Chalmette
- Accounting Schools in Houma
- Accounting Schools in Metairie
- Accounting Schools in Minden
- Accounting Schools in Monroe
- Accounting Schools in Natchitoches
- Accounting Schools in New Orleans
- Accounting Schools in Ruston
- Accounting Schools in Sorrento
- Graphic Design Schools in Concordia
- Graphic Design Schools in Emporia
- Graphic Design Schools in Fort Scott
- Graphic Design Schools in Great Bend
- Graphic Design Schools in Hillsboro
- Graphic Design Schools in Olathe
- Graphic Design Schools in Pittsburg
- Graphic Design Schools in Topeka
- Graphic Design Schools in Wichita
- Graphic Design Schools in Winfield