Philadelphia school superintendent William R. Hite Jr. knows all about controversy. Since taking... Read More
Catholic Colleges Protest Against Contraceptive Law
Catholic colleges and academics have written an open letter to President Obama in response to his sexual health compliance law imposed on campuses.
President Obama’s ruling that Catholic schools must offer birth control, sterilization and abortificants to students has caused outrage among the Catholic education community.
Hundreds of Catholic college professors signed onto an open letter protesting the policy as a blatant breach of religious freedom, writes Malcolm A. Kline at Accuracy in Academia.
“The Obama administration has offered what it has styled as an ‘accommodation’ for religious institutions in the dispute over the HHS mandate for coverage (without cost sharing) of abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization, and contraception.
“The administration will now require that all insurance plans cover (‘cost free’) these same products and services.
“Once a religiously-affiliated (or believing individual) employer purchases insurance (as it must, by law), the insurance company will then contact the insured employees to advise them that the terms of the policy include coverage for these objectionable things. This so-called ‘accommodation’ changes nothing of moral substance and fails to remove the assault on religious liberty and the rights of conscience which gave rise to the controversy.”
The letter was signed by 215 academics and administrators in Catholic higher education institutions. 89 of the signatories came from Notre Dame – notably including Gary Anderson, the Hesburgh professor of Theology at ND.
There’s some apt history behind the position, as Kline explains:
“The Hesburgh chair is named after the long-time president of Notre Dame, Father Theodore Hesburgh, who, in the 1960s chaired a conference at Land O’ Lakes, Wisconsin in which the presidents of the major Catholic colleges and universities announced their independence from authority, lay and clerical—a categorization that encompassed both the U. S. government and the Vatican.”
Since then, Notre Dame has invited every U. S. president from every view on the issue – from pro-life Reagan to pro-choice Clinton.
Following along with Microsoft’s changes to its popular productivity suite Office, Adobe... Read More
Sometimes the pace of change can take everyone by surprise. For decades, people in the sciences... Read More
Researchers are expecting a surge in the number of students educated at home by their parents over... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- BSN Schools in Abingdon
- BSN Schools in Alberta
- BSN Schools in Annandale
- BSN Schools in Arlington
- BSN Schools in Big Stone Gap
- BSN Schools in Charlottesville
- BSN Schools in Fairfax
- BSN Schools in Fredericksburg
- BSN Schools in Glen Allen
- BSN Schools in Locust Grove
- BSN Schools in Martinsville
- BSN Schools in Newport News
- BSN Schools in Reston
- BSN Schools in Richmond
- BSN Schools in Roanoke
- BSN Schools in Virginia Beach
- BSN Schools in Wise
- Engineering Schools in Bridgeport
- Engineering Schools in Danielson
- Engineering Schools in Enfield
- Engineering Schools in Fairfield
- Engineering Schools in Farmington
- Engineering Schools in Hartford
- Engineering Schools in Manchester
- Engineering Schools in Middletown
- Engineering Schools in New Britain
- Engineering Schools in New Haven
- Engineering Schools in New London
- Engineering Schools in Norwalk
- Engineering Schools in Norwich
- Engineering Schools in Waterbury
- Engineering Schools in West Haven
- Engineering Schools in Winsted