The Institute of Education Sciences and the National Center for Education Statistics have released... Read More
Teacher Evaluation May Be the Key to Teacher Quality
As teacher quality is one of the most important determinants of whether a child succeeds in school, evaluations of teachers are of paramount importance.
Tennessee has led the charge in implementing strong, effective evaluation systems when working at recruiting and nurturing great teachers for their classrooms, writes Jocelyn Huber at Tennessean. Huber is director of teacher advocacy for Democrats for Education Reform.
Over the last year, Tennessee has begun to look like a state that could realistically set the standard for the rest of the country. Last year the state passed bold, bipartisan legislation, the First to the Top Act, to create a rigorous teacher and principal evaluation system. The move was backed by unions, the business community and a wide range of education stakeholders alike.
“When it comes to improving public schools, ideas can only take us so far. It’s effective implementation of those ideas that yields results,” says Huber.
But as the state looks to implement the moves, the strength of the evaluation model is in jeopardy.
“Watering it down or delaying its implementation would be a tremendous disservice to Tennessee’s children, teachers and principals.”
Tennessee’s evaluation system specifically outlines the process by which local districts assess teachers and principals. This includes five effectiveness categories. Half of the requirement criteria is based on student achievement.
This directly links teachers and principals to the success of their students.
The equation seems simple. Better teachers mean better education. Better education means better grades, better students. The benefits for students are obvious. But Huber points out that what has often been overlooked during policy debates in Tennessee and elsewhere in the country are the benefits for teachers and principals.
“Every outstanding educator deserves to be treated like a professional and rewarded for his or her hard work and excellence. A strong evaluation system allows school districts to identify, reward, and support strong teachers, aid those who are struggling, and replace those who are consistently letting our children down.”
The 19 states included in a report ranking new state teacher evaluation systems by the Democrats for Education Reform, Tennessee came out on top in the teacher rating and performance measures category.
“The state will move the needle in the right direction considerably if, and only if, it’s implemented effectively.”
Minneapolis based consulting and research firm Adventium Labs has developed an educational iOS game... Read More
It seemed like less than a decade ago that the popularity of high school exit exams was at its... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- BSN Schools in Ankeny
- BSN Schools in Calmar
- BSN Schools in Cedar Rapids
- BSN Schools in Council Bluffs
- BSN Schools in Creston
- BSN Schools in Davenport
- BSN Schools in Decorah
- BSN Schools in Des Moines
- BSN Schools in Dubuque
- BSN Schools in Estherville
- BSN Schools in Fayette
- BSN Schools in Fort Dodge
- BSN Schools in Iowa City
- BSN Schools in Iowa Falls
- BSN Schools in Lamoni
- BSN Schools in Marshalltown
- BSN Schools in Mason City
- BSN Schools in Mount Pleasant
- BSN Schools in Orange City
- BSN Schools in Ottumwa
- BSN Schools in Sheldon
- BSN Schools in Sioux Center
- BSN Schools in Sioux City
- BSN Schools in Waterloo
- BSN Schools in West Burlington
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Appleton
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Ashland
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Cleveland
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Eau Claire
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Green Bay
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Hayward
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Kenosha
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Madison
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Middleton
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Milwaukee
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Onalaska
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Pewaukee
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Rothschild
- Healthcare Administration Schools in Wisconsin Rapids