Educators are finding that kids aren’t coming to school prepared to learn because they are... Read More
Study Shows Young Hispanic Surge in Colleges
In light of the recent economic crisis, more Hispanic young people are turning to college, a new study shows.
The number of U.S. college students aged 18 to 24 surged to a record high last year thanks to a 24% increase in Hispanic enrollments, writes John Lauerman at Bloomberg.
A study released by the Pew Hispanic center shows that Hispanic students are now the largest minority in U.S. colleges. 12.2 million 18-to-24-year-olds enrolled into college – this number being bolstered up by Hispanics, as the number of young white students have declined 4 percent to 7.7 million.
The Hispanic enrollment increase has been suggested to have been spurred by a mixture of population growth and educational strides. A tighter job market following the recession that began in 2007 may also be prompting more students to pursue higher education, said Richard Fry, a senior research associate at the center who led the study.
“There may be other factors here that we can’t see. This is an inkling that young Hispanics are narrowing the educational gap compared to white students, getting exposure to college, and I think that’s a good thing” said Fry.
Hispanics are a relatively young population, and an increasing percentage has been reaching college age, said Deborah Santiago, vice president for policy and research at Excelencia in Education, a Washington-based research group.
In addition, “we’re finding that more Latino students are graduating from high school after taking a curriculum that would make them college-ready,” she said.
The downturn in the U.S. economy, which another Pew Research Center report over the summer found was disproportionately hard on Hispanic families, has been suggested to have had a great impact, writes James B. Kelleher at Reuters. Young people, who perhaps in the past would have been expected to enter the work force after high school, are now looking to community colleges for additional vocational training.
The drop among white college students ages 18 to 24 occurred as the U.S. population in that range fell from a 2008 peak of 17.8 million to 17.7 million in October 2010, Fry said.
“The reason that there’s fewer of them in college is that there’s fewer of them,” he said. “But there are other factors in the decline that we don’t know.”
Hispanics have long been one of the least educated U.S. population groups, Fry said. More research will be needed to see whether the higher enrollment numbers translate into more Hispanics with degrees, and better job prospects, he said.
“What employers like to see is sheepskins, and we don’t know if this will lead to sheepskins yet,” he said.
The report also highlighted gains in high school completion rates for Hispanics. In 2000, just 59 percent of Hispanic 18- to 24-year-olds had completed high school; last year, 72 percent had, writes Sabrina Tavernise at the New York Times.
Most of the growth among Hispanics has been in community colleges, the report suggests. 46 percent of all the young Hispanics in college last October were in two year colleges, with the remaining 54 percent at four-year colleges.
In comparison, 73 percent of young white college students were enrolled in four-year colleges, 78 percent of young Asians and 63 percent of young blacks.
by John Jensen, PhD The debate over high-stakes testing pits the need for assessing student... Read More
Teachers and parents spoke out at the Denver Public Schools board meeting about the... Read More
Researchers are expecting a surge in the number of students educated at home by their parents over... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Accounting Schools in Baldwin Park
- Accounting Schools in Barstow
- Accounting Schools in Chula Vista
- Accounting Schools in Clovis
- Accounting Schools in Concord
- Accounting Schools in Cypress
- Accounting Schools in El Cajon
- Accounting Schools in El Centro
- Accounting Schools in Fremont
- Accounting Schools in Fresno
- Accounting Schools in Fullerton
- Accounting Schools in Malibu
- Accounting Schools in Monterey Park
- Accounting Schools in Moreno Valley
- Accounting Schools in Norco
- Accounting Schools in Northridge
- Accounting Schools in Pleasant Hill
- Accounting Schools in Pomona
- Accounting Schools in San Francisco
- Accounting Schools in San Jacinto
- Accounting Schools in San Mateo
- Accounting Schools in Taft
- Accounting Schools in Thousand Oaks
- Accounting Schools in West Covina
- Accounting Schools in Yuba City
- Accounting Schools in Yucaipa