For high school students facing up to the financial toll a college education can take on a family,... Read More
NJ District Claims Anti-Bullying Law is Too Expensive
The Ridgewood, New Jersey school district has called the state mandate requiring schools to follow strict new bullying procedures “a drain on resources”.
Ridgewood Board of Education (BOE) members have voted to pass a resolution criticizing and contesting the district’s adherence to the new Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB) Law, writes Anna Spiewak at the Ridgewood News:
As an unfunded mandate, officials have described the law as a “significant drain on the human and financial resources of the district.”
“We were investigating alleged bullying, intimidation, harassment situations before this. But now there’s a law involved and it has become a very paper-bureaucratic process. It is costing the district time and money,” said Superintendent of Schools Daniel Fishbein.
“This resolution means in general that laws and mandates on schools should not be passed without funding.”
The district is following the Allamuchy Board of Education, who filed a complaint with The State of New Jersey Council of Local Mandates at the end of the summer, echoing the Ridgewood complaints about the extra costs.
“They’re requiring us to do this, but not supplying the funds to do it the right way,” says Timothy Frederiks, superintendent of schools at Allamuchy Township.
Alongside the financial requirements of providing HIB training to teachers and hiring an HIB coordinator in every school building, school districts must also report and file every incident that occurs at a school, even if it is later found to not be bully related.
“We don’t have definitive answers from the state on what’s the difference between normal student conflict, which happens every day, and bullying, which now has become a buzzword,” Frederiks added, “and then the incident gets escalated up to a whole different level, and it may not truly be bullying.”
Following the highly publicized suicide of Ridgewood High School graduate Tyler Clementi last year, Governor Christie signed into effect the New Jersey’s Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act. The HIB brought with it extensive changes to the way that bullying is handled and reported.
All incidents of alleged bullying are filed and reported into the school record, and an investigation must be immediately launched. The act also alters previously existing policies, expands the definition of “harassment, intimidation and bullying” to include single incidents, not just patterns of behavior, and broadens the definition of what signifies a bullying incident.
“We will continue to discuss the experience of districts in implementing this new law and will consider approaching the legislature collaboratively with our districts to discuss potential modifications to the law in the future.”
The resolution by the Ridgewood school district and the complaint from Allemuchy Board of Education, is under review by the State of New Jersey Council on Local Mandates.
If the mandate commission approves the complaints, the law may then be struck down.
In a lawsuit filed in federal court, New York City parents and activists are arguing that the high... Read More
A massive online open course about one of the biggest providers of massive online open courses?... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Business Management Schools in Jersey City
- Business Management Schools in Trenton
- English Schools in Albany
- English Schools in Alfred
- English Schools in Brooklyn
- English Schools in Canton
- English Schools in Cazenovia
- English Schools in Clinton
- English Schools in Dobbs Ferry
- English Schools in Flushing
- English Schools in Forest Hills
- English Schools in Garden City
- English Schools in Geneseo
- English Schools in Hamburg
- English Schools in Hamilton
- English Schools in Hempstead
- English Schools in Houghton
- English Schools in Ithaca
- English Schools in Keuka Park
- English Schools in Long Island City
- English Schools in Newburgh
- English Schools in Oneonta
- English Schools in Orangeburg
- English Schools in Oswego
- English Schools in Potsdam
- English Schools in Rochester
- English Schools in Schenectady
- English Schools in Sparkill
- English Schools in Stony Brook
- English Schools in Syracuse
- English Schools in Utica