Educators are finding that kids aren’t coming to school prepared to learn because they are... Read More
Mayor Bloomberg Funds New Orleans School Board Candidate
New York’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg has waded into the New Orleans school board election with financial backing.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed a $5,000 check this month to help get Kira Orange Jones elected to the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, writes Andrew Vanacore at the The Times-Picayune.
Kira Orange Jones, a local Teach for America leader, is in a runoff for the seat with incumbent Louella Givens, a local attorney who has served on the board for almost eight years.
If enough state board members vote in his favor, John White, who leads the state-run Recovery School District, stands a great chance at becoming Louisiana’s next state superintendent. White spent five years at the New York City Department of Education under Bloomberg’s schools chancellor, Joel Klein.
State filings also show Bloomberg, whose media empire had already made him a billionaire before he became mayor of New York City, has contributed $100,000 to the Alliance for Better Classrooms, a group expected to wield considerable influence in three runoffs, which will determine who wins control of the board.
A political action committee organized by Baton Rouge businessman Lane Grigsby, the so-called ABC PAC continued to raise big sums just prior to the first round of voting last Saturday.
“The job is not done,” said ABC spokesman Jay Connaughton. “We still have three votes up for grabs and we’re definitely interested in finishing the job we started.”
Connaughton said all three remaining contests look winnable, and although he would not go into specifics about how the PAC will spend its cash, the group is backing candidates they view as supporters of the reform approach led by former state Superintendent Paul Pastorek. Any one candidate to replace Pastorek will need an eight-member supermajority on the 11-member board.
The ABC PAC has a reputation for being heavily involved in the districts. In the 2nd District, which covers most of New Orleans, the group attacked Givens over a February drunken driving arrest and an IRS lien on her home, writes Vanacore.
The ABC PAC also helped unseat BESE member Dale Bayard in the 7th District in favor of Holly Boffy, a Louisiana Teacher of the Year who won two thirds of the vote. The group ran TV ads painting Bayard as a friend of the “New Orleans liberals.”
The PAC will also be trying to help incumbent Chas Roemer keep his seat in the 6th District, where he faces a runoff with former Ascension Parish Superintendent Donald Songy. While in the 8th District, where four candidates were vying to replace Linda Johnson, who is leaving the board, the group is backing Carolyn Hill over Jim Guillory.
by John Jensen, PhD The debate over high-stakes testing pits the need for assessing student... Read More
Teachers and parents spoke out at the Denver Public Schools board meeting about the... Read More
Researchers are expecting a surge in the number of students educated at home by their parents over... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a State Subject
- Biology Schools in Michigan
- Construction Management Schools in California
- Fashion Merchandising Schools in Tennessee
- Select a City Subject
- Biology Schools in Adrian
- Biology Schools in Albion
- Biology Schools in Allendale
- Biology Schools in Ann Arbor
- Biology Schools in Dearborn
- Biology Schools in Detroit
- Biology Schools in East Lansing
- Biology Schools in Grand Rapids
- Biology Schools in Houghton
- Biology Schools in Ironwood
- Biology Schools in Lansing
- Biology Schools in Mount Pleasant
- Biology Schools in Warren
- Construction Management Schools in Anaheim
- Construction Management Schools in Bakersfield
- Construction Management Schools in Corona
- Construction Management Schools in Costa Mesa
- Construction Management Schools in Glendora
- Construction Management Schools in Mission Viejo
- Construction Management Schools in Orange
- Construction Management Schools in Oroville
- Construction Management Schools in Redding
- Construction Management Schools in San Francisco
- Construction Management Schools in San Mateo
- Construction Management Schools in Upland
- Construction Management Schools in Ventura
- Construction Management Schools in Walnut
- Fashion Merchandising Schools in Franklin
- Fashion Merchandising Schools in Jackson
- Fashion Merchandising Schools in Nashville