School choice is a growing movement in Wisconsin as parents increasingly take advantage of... Read More
Illinois Union Leader Lashes Out at ‘Anti-Tax Zealots’
A Lake County teachers union leader has stirred controversy after labeling opponents of a new income tax hike “teabaggers” and “anti-tax zealots.”
The president of a Lake County teacher union (LCFT) has put the cat among the pigeons by calling Lake County taxpayers who oppose Illinois’ recent 67 percent income tax hike “anti-tax zealots” and “Teabaggers,” writes Dennis G. Lacomb at the Illinois Review.
Illinois Federation of Teachers Local 540′s president Mike McGue wrote:
“Dear anti-tax zealot. I know you’d like nothing more than to take jobs away from the public sector so you can keep more for yourself. I also know that Teabaggers have convinced you that the only race worth competing is the “race-to-the-bottom.”
McGue’s letter was published as part of the Lake County Teacher Federation’s December 2011 newsletter.
There was considerable backlash in the community. Lennie Jarratt, Lake County Tea Party member and GOP candidate for the Illinois Senate, wrote a public response to McGue’s newsletter.
“Businesses and families are leaving Lake County and the State of Illinois. Yet we have people like you, Mr. McGue, calling people names and making personal attacks,” Jarratt wrote.
“You are even using your position as LCFT President and your relationship with the Benton Teacher Union President, your wife Corrine, to bully and intimidate the District 126 community.”
In his letter, Jarratt pointed out that property taxes in Lake County are the highest in the Midwest and that Illinois unemployment rate has risen from 9.0% to 10% since the Legislature passed the 66% tax increase on individuals and 45% on corporations.
The LCFT acknowledged receiving a copy of the newsletter page, but President McGue has not yet confirmed or denied that the column contains his words.
According to data collected from Ohio’s new value-added teacher ratings, there appears to be... Read More
Lawmakers in Dubai hope that forcing schools and parents to sign a legally binding contract before... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a State Subject
- Business Administration Schools in Florida
- History Schools in North Carolina
- Medical Billing Schools in Florida
- Select a City Subject
- Business Administration Schools in Boca Raton
- Business Administration Schools in Cape Coral
- Business Administration Schools in Clearwater
- Business Administration Schools in Madison
- Business Administration Schools in Tallahassee
- History Schools in Asheville
- History Schools in Charlotte
- History Schools in Davidson
- History Schools in Greenville
- History Schools in Hickory
- History Schools in Misenheimer
- History Schools in Mount Olive
- History Schools in Murfreesboro
- History Schools in Rocky Mount
- History Schools in Wilson
- History Schools in Wingate
- History Schools in Winston Salem
- Medical Billing Schools in Fort Lauderdale
- Medical Billing Schools in Hollywood
- Medical Billing Schools in Homestead
- Medical Billing Schools in Jacksonville
- Medical Billing Schools in Largo
- Medical Billing Schools in Miami
- Medical Billing Schools in Ocala
- Medical Billing Schools in Orange Park
- Medical Billing Schools in Orlando
- Medical Billing Schools in Sarasota
- Medical Billing Schools in Tampa