The Institute of Education Sciences and the National Center for Education Statistics have released... Read More
Cuomo Pushes for Teacher Eval Changes via Online Initiative
Teacher evaluations in New York are changing, and a website encourages local implementation of the recent state agreement.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced an online initiative to get parents and students involved in pushing for local implementation of the new statewide evaluation system agreed upon last month.
“Now that we have created a national model for teacher evaluations, we need the parents, students and people of New York to help us make sure it gets implemented in our schools,” Governor Cuomo said. “I hope the countless parents and advocates who have been demanding accountability in our schools will use www.nystudentsfirst.com to get involved in our efforts to put students first and reform our education system.”
The new system splits a teacher’s evaluation between their own performance as measured by a variety of metrics and on classroom observation, which will account for 60% of the teacher’s evaluation. The remaining 40% is accounted for by student achievement, split equally between results in state tests and local tests. This mirrors a national trend towards basing teacher evaluations on measurable student performance.
The agreement significantly tightens the scoring system to ensure student achievement and teacher performance are both properly taken into account for teacher ratings. Teachers or principals that are rated ineffective in the 40 points could not receive a developing score overall.
Ineffective: 0 – 64
Developing: 65 – 74
Effective: 75 – 90
Highly Effective: 91 – 100
Of major importance in the new agreement is that it gives the SED Commissioner authority to reject local evaluation plans that are considered insufficient.
StudentsFirst will include an interactive map tracking the implementation of the new system in the 696 school districts throughout the states. Interested parties can sign up to receive information and alerts about their local district’s implementation progress.
A deadline for local implementation to be agreed has been set at January, 16, 2013 by Governor Cuomo.
Minneapolis based consulting and research firm Adventium Labs has developed an educational iOS game... Read More
It seemed like less than a decade ago that the popularity of high school exit exams was at its... Read More
More groups are saying that the time and expense dedicated to standardized testing is having... Read More
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Mental Health Schools in Gresham
- Mental Health Schools in Newberg
- Mental Health Schools in Portland
- Special Education Schools in Berkeley
- Special Education Schools in Carson
- Special Education Schools in Davis
- Special Education Schools in Hayward
- Special Education Schools in Irvine
- Special Education Schools in La Jolla
- Special Education Schools in La Verne
- Special Education Schools in Long Beach
- Special Education Schools in Los Altos Hills
- Special Education Schools in Mission Viejo
- Special Education Schools in Norwalk
- Special Education Schools in Riverside
- Special Education Schools in San Bernardino
- Special Education Schools in San Diego
- Special Education Schools in San Jacinto
- Special Education Schools in Santa Ana
- Special Education Schools in Santa Clara
- Special Education Schools in Santa Maria
- Special Education Schools in Stockton