Los Angeles Schools Outperformed by Charter Schools
Study shows Charter Schools perform better than their L.A. Unified counterparts.
Taken as a group, Los Angeles charter schools outperform Los Angeles Unified School District across all grade levels on the Academic Performance Index (API), California’s primary academic accountability metric for schools, says Sierra Jenkins in a press release by CalCharters.
“Charter schools in Los Angeles are showing incredible academic growth,” said Jed Wallace, President and CEO of the California Charter Schools Association.
“They are demonstrating that charters are fulfilling the promise of reinventing public education.“
The number of charter schools has grown dramatically in Los Angeles, from 10 schools in 1994 to 183 LAUSD-authorized schools serving more than 77,000 students in the 2010-11 school year.
An analysis of data also found that all but one of the new charter schools authorized by the Los Angeles School Board during the first phase of its Public School Choice initiative outperformed similar new schools run by LAUSD.
Despite that success, the Board on Tuesday voted to severely restrict the ability of charter operators from applying to run new schools in the next round of Public School Choice.
“Clearly charter schools in LA are offering the kinds of innovative successful programs that are achieving results for kids and that parents and the public want to see within our public education system,” said Wallace.
“The Board’s decision yesterday however demonstrates just how hard reforming public education can be.”
In analysis of the data, it is interesting to point out that both LAUSD and charter schools have seen their median API scores increase in the past four years.
Charters have seen bigger cumulative gains than the district over that period at the elementary and high school levels.
The difference between district and charter performance is particularly notable for Socioeconomically Disadvantaged and Latino students in charter high schools. Students from those subgroups had median API scores that were over 100 points higher than their counterparts at non-charters.
English Learners at charter middle schools also had median API scores over 100 points higher than their non-charter counterparts.
Charter schools offer another public education option to parents, who are seizing upon the successes that the schools are generating, writes Jed Wallace at City Watch LA.
Charters in the state serving large numbers of low income students are far outperforming traditional public schools serving similar demographics of students.
Parents, who know their children best and who deserve to have a choice in their children’s education, are flocking to charters in large numbers.
Enter your email to subscribe to daily Education News!
- Education Technology
- Online Education
- California Education
- Charter Schools
- Teachers Unions
- Education Research
- New York Education
- School Choice
- Education Funding
- STEM Education
- UK Education
- Parent Involvement
- Common Core
- Cost of College
- New York City Schools
- Florida Education
- Julia Steiny
- Texas Education
- School Health
- Math Education
- Los Angeles Schools
- Pennsylvania Education
- Louisiana Education
- Education Reform
- Obama Administration
- New Jersey Education
- Chicago Schools
- College Admissions
- Online Courses
- Teacher Training
- Tennessee Education
- Health Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Ohio Education
- Massachusetts Education
- C. M. Rubin
- Illinois Education
- UK Higher Education
- School Nutrition
- Arne Duncan
- iPads in the Classroom
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Computer Animation Schools in Anaheim
- Computer Animation Schools in Costa Mesa
- Computer Animation Schools in Cupertino
- Computer Animation Schools in El Cajon
- Computer Animation Schools in Emeryville
- Computer Animation Schools in Eureka
- Computer Animation Schools in Fullerton
- Computer Animation Schools in Lancaster
- Computer Animation Schools in Los Angeles
- Computer Animation Schools in Monrovia
- Computer Animation Schools in Moorpark
- Computer Animation Schools in North Hollywood
- Computer Animation Schools in Oakland
- Computer Animation Schools in Orange
- Computer Animation Schools in Pleasant Hill
- Computer Animation Schools in Rancho Cucamonga
- Computer Animation Schools in Redwood City
- Computer Animation Schools in Riverside
- Computer Animation Schools in Rocklin
- Computer Animation Schools in San Bernardino
- Computer Animation Schools in San Dimas
- Computer Animation Schools in San Francisco
- Computer Animation Schools in Santa Monica
- Computer Animation Schools in Santa Rosa
- Computer Animation Schools in Sylmar
- Computer Animation Schools in Torrance