Experts warn of danger posed by school text
Jewel Topsfield A book of gruesome short stories is being taught to 13-year-olds at schools, prompting adolescent health experts to warn it could encourage vulnerable teens to self harm.
A BOOK of gruesome short stories, which includes a task asking students to write two suicide notes, is being taught to 13-year-olds at some schools, prompting adolescent health experts to warn it could encourage vulnerable teens to self harm.
Tracey Young was horrified to learn her daughter’s year 8 English class at Berwick Secondary College would be studying Smithereens, which includes short stories about suicide, the legal killing of homeless children and a man who murders his abusive brother-in-law.
”There is quite a lot of gross details of murders and one of the tasks after a story is for the kids to write practice suicide notes,” Ms Young said.
She said when she raised concerns with Berwick Secondary College, the school said the book was no different from what children watch on television. But, she said, ”you don’t get a choice in the classroom”.
The school’s solution was to pull her daughter out of the class and give her an alternative text, but Ms Young said this made her daughter feel uncomfortable.
Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive Joe Tucci said schools should not be asking students to rehearse potentially harmful behaviour. ”When you encourage adolescents to undertake activities that blur the line between fantasy and reality … it might tip them into undertaking that activity,” he said.
Childhood pyschologist Michael Carr-Gregg said Smithereens should be immediately removed from schools.
”It could give them ideas about self harm and potentially lead them to believe the world is a bleaker, darker, more miserable place than it actually is,” Dr Carr-Gregg said. If a student harmed themselves after reading it, the school could be in breach of its duty of care.
Enter your email to subscribe to daily Education News!
- Education Technology
- Online Education
- California Education
- Charter Schools
- Teachers Unions
- Education Research
- New York Education
- School Choice
- Education Funding
- STEM Education
- Parent Involvement
- UK Education
- Cost of College
- New York City Schools
- Florida Education
- Julia Steiny
- Common Core
- Texas Education
- Math Education
- School Health
- Los Angeles Schools
- Obama Administration
- Education Reform
- Pennsylvania Education
- Louisiana Education
- Chicago Schools
- College Admissions
- Teacher Training
- Online Courses
- New Jersey Education
- C. M. Rubin
- Ohio Education
- Early Childhood Education
- UK Higher Education
- Health Education
- Illinois Education
- Tennessee Education
- 2012 Election
- iPads in the Classroom
- Massachusetts Education
- Teacher Evaluation
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a State Subject
- Math Schools in Louisiana
- Political Science Schools in Iowa
- Sociology Schools in Tennessee
- Select a City Subject
- Math Schools in Alexandria
- Math Schools in Baton Rouge
- Math Schools in Grambling
- Math Schools in Hammond
- Math Schools in Lafayette
- Math Schools in Lake Charles
- Math Schools in Monroe
- Math Schools in Natchitoches
- Math Schools in New Orleans
- Math Schools in Pineville
- Math Schools in Ruston
- Math Schools in Shreveport
- Math Schools in Thibodaux
- Political Science Schools in Ames
- Political Science Schools in Cedar Falls
- Political Science Schools in Cedar Rapids
- Political Science Schools in Davenport
- Political Science Schools in Decorah
- Political Science Schools in Des Moines
- Political Science Schools in Dubuque
- Political Science Schools in Grinnell
- Political Science Schools in Indianola
- Political Science Schools in Iowa City
- Political Science Schools in Mount Vernon
- Political Science Schools in Orange City
- Political Science Schools in Pella
- Political Science Schools in Sioux Center
- Political Science Schools in Sioux City
- Political Science Schools in Storm Lake
- Political Science Schools in Waverly
- Sociology Schools in Cookeville
- Sociology Schools in Maryville
- Sociology Schools in Murfreesboro