An Interview with Jesse Breedlove: Keep Right !
7.3.10 – Michael F. Shaughnessy – We promote "Keep Right" traffic safety! We are currently operating a "Keep Right" traffic safety campaign in every state. As a grassroots movement we have to rely on media outlets such as this one, and whatever guerrilla marketing tactics that we can employ to bring this message to as many people as possible.
Michael F. Shaughnessy
Eastern New Mexico University
Portales, New Mexico
1. Jesse, the Fourth of July weekend is rapidly approaching. As you and I know, there is danger on the road. What are you and your organization doing to promote safety?
The Fourth of July is one of the busiest travel periods of the year. Our mission is to change “driver behavior”!
We promote “Keep Right” traffic safety! We are currently operating a “Keep Right” traffic safety campaign in every state. As a grassroots movement we have to rely on media outlets such as this one, and whatever guerrilla marketing tactics that we can employ to bring this message to as many people as possible.
The ultimate goal is to have each state operate its own respective campaign as part of a national “Keep Right” traffic safety strategy. For the “Keep Right” traffic safety campaign to be fully effective and save as many lives as possible, there must be a coordinated and sustained effort by all of us. The “next paradigm in traffic safety culture” is changing driver behavior.
Imagine “Click it or Ticket” on steroids! “Click it or Ticket” saves lives, however it does not reduce traffic accidents, as far as I know.
“Keep Right” traffic safety starts with a full-blown public awareness campaign to educate motorists on proper “Keep Right” procedure and technique. Inform drivers of the dangers associated with “Impeding the flow of traffic”.
Second is “Operation: Impeder”! The active enforcement of the “Keep Right” traffic laws.
A full-blown “Keep Right” traffic safety campaign coupled with active “Keep Right” law enforcement will save lives, reduce traffic congestion and improve emergency response.
To make this happen, it will take leadership at the state level as well as the national level. There must be a full-blown statewide public awareness campaign in each state, and the “Keep Right” traffic laws must be strengthened and enforced. We are contacting Governors, State Legislators, Transportation Officials, Law Enforcement, Fire and EMS Departments as well as any and all media outlets.
2. What is this campaign basically about and for?
This “America Keep Right” public awareness campaign is to educate motorists about proper “Keep Right” traffic safety procedure! Motorists that “Impede the flow of traffic” (drive slowly in the passing lanes), negatively impact three main issues: traffic safety, traffic congestion and emergency response.
3. Why is it important that drivers “stay right”?
Safety is the number one reason that motorists should “Keep Right”. If all motorists would obey the “Keep Right” traffic laws at all times, we will reduce traffic accidents, improve traffic flow and reduce the time it takes first responders to reach an emergency.
“Slower Traffic Keep Right” is not only the law, it’s a guide on how motorists of differing speeds can maintain order and efficiency on our roads and freeways. The “Keep Right” laws in most states mandate that you drive in the right-hand lane unless you are passing, preparing to turn left, or obeying the “Move Over” law for emergency vehicles.
4. I know that there are a lot of fires due to firecrackers and the like…how does your program try to help firefighters?
Seven years ago I started a public awareness campaign titled, “California Keep Right”. It never really took off until last year when I introduced a product that is installed on the front of emergency vehicles to reduce emergency response times and increase the safety of first responders.
I have been working hard to demonstrate that with improved “Keep Right” traffic safety, emergency response is also improved. Many times motorists freeze or just aren’t paying attention when an emergency vehicle approaches from behind with lights and sirens on. Many of these situations can be avoided if these motorists would obey the “Keep Right” traffic laws at all times.
5. And why is your program helpful to the Police?
America Keep Right improves traffic safety! This helps law enforcement on many levels. Along with the previously stated reasons, “Keep Right” traffic safety also reduces aggressive driving, road rage and tailgating. Our roads will not only be safer but more enjoyable!
6. Is there any way our readers could get a copy of this license plate for their vehicle?
The “America Keep Right” plastic license plate can be purchased for $9.95 free s/h.
Click this link. http://shop.keeprightsticker.com/category.sc?categoryId=10
I need your support! I am truly a one man organization. I have personally funded this entire campaign. I have sponsored several Fire, Police and EMS Departments in several states. I refuse to let this program fail. It is too important to America! Visit www.AmericaKeepRight.com and www.KeepRightUSA.com for more information.
7. Do Driver’s Ed programs help with your ideas about safety on the road?
The Driver’s Ed programs that I have encountered barely touch on the “Keep Right” traffic laws and procedure.
One of my goals is to get the Department of Motor Vehicles to emphasize “Keep Right” traffic safety through increased education and testing.
8. What has been your response/reaction from first responders?
First responders have taken the national lead in “Keep Right” traffic safety. Fire, Police and EMS Chiefs across the nation not only support what I am doing, they “Fully Endorse” the “America Keep Right” traffic safety campaign and “Keep Right Safety Products”.
When it comes to emergency response, every second counts!
Enter your email to subscribe to daily Education News!
- Education Technology
- Teachers Unions
- Charter Schools
- California Education
- Education Research
- Online Education
- New York Education
- UK Education
- STEM Education
- School Choice
- Cost of College
- Education Funding
- New York City Schools
- Julia Steiny
- Florida Education
- Education Reform
- Parent Involvement
- Texas Education
- Los Angeles Schools
- Math Education
- C. M. Rubin
- Obama Administration
- Chicago Schools
- 2012 Election
- Pennsylvania Education
- New Jersey Education
- Tennessee Education
- UK Higher Education
- Teacher Training
- Early Childhood Education
- College Admissions
- Louisiana Education
- School Health
- Ohio Education
- Teacher Evaluations
- Illinois Education
- Arne Duncan
- UK Politics
- Michigan Education
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Accounting Schools in Avon Park
- Accounting Schools in Babson Park
- Accounting Schools in Cocoa
- Accounting Schools in Daytona Beach
- Accounting Schools in DeLand
- Accounting Schools in Fort Lauderdale
- Accounting Schools in Fort Myers
- Accounting Schools in Gainesville
- Accounting Schools in Hobe Sound
- Accounting Schools in Hollywood
- Accounting Schools in Immokalee
- Accounting Schools in Jacksonville
- Accounting Schools in Kissimmee
- Accounting Schools in Lake City
- Accounting Schools in Lake Worth
- Accounting Schools in Lakeland
- Accounting Schools in Largo
- Accounting Schools in Leesburg
- Accounting Schools in Melbourne
- Accounting Schools in Miami
- Accounting Schools in Niceville
- Accounting Schools in Ocala
- Accounting Schools in Orlando
- Accounting Schools in Panama City
- Accounting Schools in Pensacola
- Accounting Schools in Saint Augustine
- Accounting Schools in Saint Leo
- Accounting Schools in Sanford
- Accounting Schools in Tallahassee
- Accounting Schools in Tampa
- Accounting Schools in West Palm Beach
- Accounting Schools in Winter Park