Year Round Education
(Year-Round Education is also known as Year-Round School, Alternative Calendar, Extended School Year, Modified School Year, Continuous Learning Calendar, Education For All Seasons, the Balanced Calendar, and the Remedial Calendar.)
'"There is no evidence that indicates there's any difference in achievement between year-round and traditional schools," said Tom Payne, who is in charge of year-round education for the California Department of Education. The moral of the story is that the year-round school, like so many so-called education reforms, is like rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. The ship is still sinking.' (The Phoenix Gazette, EDITORIALS, Friday May 3, 1991 "Year-round fraud")
Wes Walker's Homepage: Opposition to Year Round School
It is generally accepted that those of previous generations enjoyed a higher quality of education. Something changed. The calendar has not changed.
Why is the calendar being blamed?
Sub Page Links:
(click on the colored text)
- Year Round School: A Parent’s Point of View.
- The "yellow flier" containing our responses to the list of pros of YRE put out by our elementary school.
- YRE and Children's Self Esteem, Our Experience
- Janet Martin, Member of the Arizona State Board of Education
- The Impact on Non-Custodial Children by Judge Michael D. Jones
- MEMORANDUM IN OPPOSITION TO YEAR-ROUND SCHOOLS by Robert Rosenfeld, Attorney
- YEAR-ROUND SCHOOLS AND ACADEMICS by Robert Rosenfeld, Attorney
- San Diego Academics by Robert Rosenfeld, Attorney
- Myths and Facts about Year-Round School, by Robert Rosenfeld, Attorney
- What People Are Saying About Year-Round Schools, by Robert Rosenfeld, Attorney
- A report to the Auburn City Schools Board of Education.
Download This report in .PDF format. Click Here for Adobe's PDF viewer. Contact Dave Elton for a copy of this report.
- Challenging the Assumption of Generalized Academic Losses over Summer by Dr. Maxine Gallander Wintre
- GET THIS BOOK: Year-Round Education: Lessons Learned the Hard Way. Before you get your heart set on implementing YRE, read this book. It is inexpensive and contains valuable information. This book should be required reading for all YRE researchers! In addition to the book, you will want to get the additional 133 pages of research.
- Editorial Page/Opinions
- Letters regarding Lakeview School, Washington Elementary School District, Phoenix, Arizona, Spring 1999
- Summer Resources from the Reader's Digest
- Our Position - Questions Answered, Questions Raised
- RESOURCES Page
If you have any comments, questions, ideas, or suggestions, EMAIL them to me - Wes Walker - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every single sentence on this site is supported by an external source or is my opinion based on experience.
I am listing the sources as I can in my spare time. If you want the source for any statement you find here, EMAIL me and I will respond ASAP.
You will find that this site opposes Year-Round Education. Never confuse bias with objective conclusion. We experienced it first hand.
"If year-round education were the traditional school calendar and had been so for 100 years or more, and if someone
came along to suggest a "new" calendar wherein students were to be educated for only nine months each year with
another three months free from organized instruction, would the American public allow, or even consider, such a calendar?"
- Charles Ballinger -
ad hominem (esp in phrase) argument ad hominem an argument directed to the personality, predjudices, previous words and actions of an opponent, rather than an appeal to pure reason. Webster’s Dictionary and Thesaurus of the English Language, Lexicon Publications, Inc., Danbury CT. 1992.
Come back soon.
Plan your career as an educator using our free online datacase of useful information.
- Select a City Subject
- Psychology Schools in Amherst
- Psychology Schools in Bridgewater
- Psychology Schools in Brookline
- Psychology Schools in Cambridge
- Psychology Schools in Chestnut Hill
- Psychology Schools in Fitchburg
- Psychology Schools in Great Barrington
- Psychology Schools in Longmeadow
- Psychology Schools in Lowell
- Psychology Schools in Medford
- Psychology Schools in Newton
- Psychology Schools in North Adams
- Psychology Schools in North Andover
- Psychology Schools in North Dartmouth
- Psychology Schools in Northampton
- Psychology Schools in Norton
- Psychology Schools in Paxton
- Psychology Schools in Quincy
- Psychology Schools in South Lancaster
- Psychology Schools in Springfield
- Psychology Schools in Wenham
- Psychology Schools in Westfield
- Psychology Schools in Weston
- Psychology Schools in Williamstown
- Visual Communications Schools in Cedar City
- Visual Communications Schools in Draper
- Visual Communications Schools in Ephraim
- Visual Communications Schools in Ogden
- Visual Communications Schools in Orem
- Visual Communications Schools in Price
- Visual Communications Schools in Provo
- Visual Communications Schools in Salt Lake City
Enter your email to subscribe to daily Education News!
- Education Technology
- Online Education
- California Education
- Charter Schools
- Teachers Unions
- New York Education
- Education Research
- School Choice
- Education Funding
- UK Education
- STEM Education
- Common Core
- Parent Involvement
- Cost of College
- New York City Schools
- Florida Education
- Julia Steiny
- School Health
- Texas Education
- Math Education
- Pennsylvania Education
- Los Angeles Schools
- Louisiana Education
- Education Reform
- Obama Administration
- Health Education
- New Jersey Education
- Chicago Schools
- Online Courses
- College Admissions
- Teacher Training
- Tennessee Education
- Ohio Education
- Illinois Education
- Massachusetts Education
- Early Childhood Education
- School Safety
- iPads in the Classroom
- UK Higher Education
- Arne Duncan
- C. M. Rubin